Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A tribute to Luke, the dog.

When I was 10, I talked my mom into the idea of having a puppy. We bought a book called The Dog Book which explained the pros and cons of each different bread of dog. We hadn't yet convinced my Dad that a dog would be a good addition to our home but, we kept our eye on the ads in the newspaper anyway.

One day we came across an ad for $100 collie puppies and we went to take a look. The puppies were so excited. There was one happy puppy who was so hyper and excited to see us.. really adorable. I was drawn to him and thought he was the one to take home with us. Then I saw a sweet, shy puppy who was back behind the commotion. He was timid and his face.. the only word that describes it perfectly is.. sweet. I picked him up and knew he was the one for us. The woman told me they named him Luke but, that I could change it. I thought it fit him perfectly. So, I threw in a middle name and he was officially, Luke Lee. (I was 10, remember.)

He was a very playful puppy who also loved to cuddle. He slept in my bed and was such a sweetheart. He loved babies and kids and loved to play catch. Some of my favorite memories are sitting on the back porch with my mom, looking at the stars, and playing catch with Luke. He is terrified of just about anything, loves cheese, and loves it when dad comes home from work. The biggest surprise about bringing Luke into our family was the connection he and my dad had made. My dad, who is definitely not a dog person, loves Luke.



Today is Luke's last day with us. I can only imagine the goodbye between my dad and Luke, this morning. I'm sure it was a very tender moment with many treats for our puppy. I was able to say my goodbyes to him last night and since then, have been reflecting on all of the good times we have had with him. Thanks for 13 years, Luke. I'll miss you, puppy!

1 comment:

  1. Sa...I am very sorry to hear of your loss! He was such a great dog and I have great memories of him as well! What a good way to remember him though! He will for sure be missed!

    ReplyDelete